In order to balance performance and environmental conservation, particular attention is given to the vineyard of La Dominique. Each plot is closely monitored, and its individual characteristics are taken into account for the vine works required throughout the seasons. For several years, the vineyard has been managed according to rules of sustainable agriculture.
Château La Dominique
- Soil: 25% brown clayey soils, 75% ancient sands mixed with gravel on clay subsoils
- Grape varieties: 81% Merlot, 16% Cabernet Franc, 3% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Average vine age: 35 years old
- Plantation density: 7,000 to 9,000 vines/ha
- Viticultural method: Traditional, natural grass cover every second row depending on vine vigour, works following sustainable agriculture principles
- Pruning method: single and double Guyot
- Harvesting: Entirely by hand, for good quality grapes
- Vinification: Taperedstainless steel temperature controlled tanks
- Maturation: 70% to 80% in new barrels
- Yield: 40 hl/ha
- Average production: 90,000 bottles
Inaugurated with the vintage 2013, the new wine cellar involves a set of tools selected for their technical performance. The aim is a quest for excellence in the development of wines with great cellaring potential, while keeping up with our traditions.
With great patience and passion, guided by a know-how acquired over time, Fayat’s family is deeply involved and determined to give to Château La Dominique a strong contemporary dimension.
Not only has the wine cellar been improved, but the process of harvesting has also been made more efficient, in order to keep the best quality of our grapes.
Detailed review, from the plot to the vat:
- Hand-picking in 35kg boxes, starting spot from where grapes will be perfectly preserved,
- Storage in cold-room for 12 to 24 hours, temperature cooled to make the most of pre-fermentation maceration,
- Destemming with The Cube vertical vibration destemmer, for gentle treatment of the grapes,
- Automatic sorting process by blowing grain separator, then hand sorting on vibration table so that only the best grains are kept,
- Gently crushed grapes transferred thanks to a moving basin lifted up onto the vat, gravity allows for an accurate preservation of matters and colors,
- Wine-making in insulated, double-skin, stainless steel vats with thermo-regulation, for a precise and top-quality treatment at all stages of the process .